Tuesday, August 17, 2010

OPA Convocation & Honor Society Candidate Statements

Join us for a very important Parent Information Meeting Thursday August 19, 2010 at 6:00 p.m. on the Oxford Campus.

Important topics for our Parent Meeting will include:

  • Elections of our Convocation (School SITE Council), Honor Society (PFA), and ELAC.
  • A light preview tasting of our nutritious and delicious school lunches!
  • An overview of our grading policy.
Candidates will present thirty second speeches preceding ballot casting on Thursday night. In an effort to give our parents a greater opportunity to learn about the a few of the wonderful parents wishing to contribute to our leadership teams, the following statements have been provided:


Scott Boskovich

My name is Scott Boskovich, and I am the proud parent of two students that will have the opportunity to attend OPA this next year, and I am running to become a member of the Convocation Committee at OPA. My youngest will be starting 1st grade and my oldest will be starting 3rd grade. I firmly believe that participation with your children's education and activities is vital to helping them become the best that they can. As such, I have been a Cub Scout Leader in Pack 393 for a couple of years now, a Soccer Coach in AYSO 779 for several years, and a Baseball Coach in Chino Hills Little League, also, for several years now. I also have the opportunity to give back to the community by participating in the Chino Hills Little League Board of Directors as a Vice President of the AAA/Majors Division. In each of these capacities I am able to provide directions and support to kids to help them achieve the best they can do.

I firmly believe that the OPA philosophy and the learning environment that has been discussed thus far is a great opportunity for all of the students that will be attending. Professionally, I am Senior Researcher and Engineer in Robotics and Embedded Software Design for a major technology company as well as a Professor at Cal Poly Pomona.
As a Professor of Robotics and Design in the Electrical Engineering Dept. I have the opportunity to recognize the skills that are necessary to allow my own two kids to succeed, and I continually instill in them. By being my a member of the Convocation Committee, I would like to offer my experience by working with the students and the school to help in providing with the directions that will help everyone to succeed to their maximum potential. I also want to help make the school, Oxford Preparatory Academy, synonymous with excellence in Academics, Technology, Arts, and Sports, while achieving optimal balance.

I would like to thank you for your consideration for this position.

Patti Blake

My name is Patti Blake and I am running for OPA’s Convoction Council. I received my B.A. In Liberal Studies from CSULA in 1993 and I am a teacher with 13 years experience in elementary education. My years of experience have been mostly in the private school sector, but also in public. My youngest daughter will be attending OPA for 6-8th grade and I have 2 students at Ontario Christian High School. Two years ago, I had the privilege of attending two weeks of training with Sue Roche in her Multiple Intelligence way of teaching. I instantly was on board with it and had great success immediately.

I have been involved in volunteering in many different aspects of my children’s extracurricular endeavors from team mom, room mom, mentor mom with MOPS, School Site Council at Wickman Elementary (3 years), Picture mom, VBS crafts coordinator for 500+ children, Sunday School teacher, Girl Scout leader, and more. Over the last few years, I have educated myself about nutrition and am interested in helping children learn a healthy exciting alternative way of eating. I am excited to be involved at OPA and am hoping that I am chosen to serve on this council.


Lily Monreal


I am Lily Monreal and would like to fiil the position as Auditor for OPA. My experience in banking and mortgage finance should benefit the needs of the school. I have about 20 years experience in finance and feel that I could be a great asset for the OPA team.



Heather Heider

Heather grew up locally and attended all CVUSD grade schools. She, along with her husband, is a parent lead petitioner and founding member of OPA. Heather has a B.S. degree in physics with a mathematics emphasis and supervises a forensic laboratory for a large Orange County law enforcement agency. Her five year old daughter will be starting kindergarten this coming year. Her three year old son insists he is starting kindergarten as well this September, however will be attending in 2012. Heather is a huge proponent for OPA's mission and whole-heartedly feels the school will be a rich and diverse experience for all students. She is currently an active member in both the Technology and Secretarial Committees and very thankful to be a part of such a unique and worthwhile educational experience.


Jill Cufley

Hi OPA families, my name is Jill Cufley and I am running for recording secretary for the Honor Society. I have a son who will be in first grade at OPA and we are so excited to get started! I work as a nurse so I have many years' experience listening to people and writing down all the little (and big!) details discussed. I would love the opportunity to be involoved with the Honor Society so I can have an active role in helping to make OPA the best school in the Chino Valley! We have seen what can be done with all of the community and parental support in such a short time, imagine what we can do together throughout the entire school year. The possibilities are endless!

Thank you for your consideration.


Esther Pewterbaugh


Hello my name is Esther Pewterbaugh and I am excited and proud to be running for the Honor Society. I hope I can count on your vote and that you would consider me for filling the position as your Corresponding Secretary. I am a mother of three awesome boys ages 6, 5, and 3. Currently I am serving in the hardest job ever...A STAY AT HOME MOM! I believe that as parents we serve as one of the strongest advocates for our children, and for all students at OPA. Once I saw there was an area in which I could use my talents to help, I eagerly signed up!
Currently I am involved in not only enriching the lives of my own children, but also the children in our community. I have been co-leading a Mommy and Me group since my six year old was six months old. I have served in the children's ministry, including Vacation Bible School, at the church we attend, and I have been a table leader for Mother's of Preschoolers, also known as MOPS.
Brining resources and opportunities to children has always been a passion for me. While I was a student at CSU, Fullerton, I belonged to student organization in which I planned and organized a Jr. High Leadership Conference. My desire was to encourage and plant seeds into the hearts of students to seek a higher education. My first career outside of college was with Disney GOALS, as the Education Coordinator. Students that went through my program were motivated to do better in school, and thus got to participate in the hockey program. As the Ed. Coordinator, it was my job to find resources to expose students to a wide range of opportunities and educational experiences. From there I moved on to coordinate another educational program called the "Each One, Reach Two Mentor Program." I matched two students per one mentor, a total of 200 mentees and 100 mentors, planned and organized activities for the program, and worked with the parents as well.
Through these different experiences I've had to do a lot of recruiting, networking, and corresponding with various letters and forms. I feel that my passion as an advocate for all children and education will make a difference at this school. The Honor Society will provide leadership opportunities for everyone and I will be honored to bring my experience to the table to make this happen!


Aileen Collins

I am interested in volunteering for the Corresponding Secretary. I'm sorry I cannot attend the meeting this Thursday. I don't really have a lot to say about myself on this position except that I am good in follow up phone calls, and reminding people events and things. I will also volunteer for miscellaneous events whenever I can. I mostly want to support OPA in whatever way I can, aside from the required hours.

I'm sure I will be helping around campus as the year progresses also.

I'm excited to find out about this election's outcome.

Sincerely,

Aileen Collins


Maria Taylor

I have submitted my name for the OPA Convocation as a parent representative for a special education student.I have 3 children. My son will be a sophmore at Chino Hills HS. I will have 2 daughters and a niece attending OPA. This will be my first time on a school site council.I am have a BS degree in Biology with an emphasis in Cell and Molecular Biology from SDSU.I am a Senior Cinical Research Associate working on Pharmaceuticals studies for drugs not yet approved by FDA.I am new to Chino and am looking forward to a great first year.

Tracy Lindsey Melchior

My name is Tracy Lindsey Melchior. I have a 9yr old who is entering the 4th grade and a 10mo. old. When my oldest son was identified GATE I began researching what that meant. I quickly learned it is so much more than just a proficiency in learning. These kids have a unique perspective which can be helpful in some areas and present challenges for them in others. I think there are a lot of misconceptions that GATE kids are simply accelerated learners. I joined the GATE committee at so I could participate and be an advocate for these unique kids. At Oak Ridge where he attended I was nominated as the District Rep for our school. I have also served on the School Site Council where I was nominated Secretary. I am very excited to serve at a school with less bureaucracy where we really have the ability to make a difference for these kids.


Wendy Coffin

Hello Fellow OPA Parent,

My name is Wendy Coffin. (Yes, my husband sells Life Insurance he really does) and I would love to represent your views and ideas to our Convocation Committee. (or as some of us know it the PTA) I have been involved in the PTA for 3 years at Butterfield Ranch Elementary. Where I held the VP Fundraising position. I would love to continue helping our children get the most out of school. By working hard to ensure that we have all the funds that we need to accomplish our goal...... Our Goal Of Educating Our Future Champions!

Sincerely,

Wendy Coffin


Brian Heider

Brian Heider is a medically retired Orange County police detective who worked gang, narcotic, child abuse and homicide investigations. Brian is currently the President of Oracle Investigations Group, Inc., a professional investigation agency, and is also a licensed real estate broker. Brian earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and Law and Society from the University of California at Riverside. Brian was previously the Head Water Polo & Swim Coach at his alma mater (Chino High School) and taught in the Chino High School Social Science Department. Brian is a Lead Petitioner and Founding Member of Oxford Preparatory Academy and has been consistently active during the charter approval process. Some of Brian’s responsibilities have included short & long-term facility planning, school site security planning and implementation, character development curriculum research and school lunch service research. Brian’s experience as an educator, coach, law enforcement official and parent makes him a perfect fit for one of the elected parent positions on OPA’s Convocation and looks forward to continuing his service to the students, staff and parents of OPA.


Julian Ervin

I received my bachelors degree from Willamette University in Salem, OR in 1998 and my Masters in Education from Idaho State University in 2000. While attending Willamette, I held several leadership positions including, President of the Black Students Organization; President is Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity; and undergraduate assistant for the Dean of Students. At Idaho State, I was fortunate enough to be accepted as a graduate assistant in the Sports Science department, where I taught fitness, wellness, and physiology classes for undergraduate students.

I am currently a store manager for Target and also hold the position of community relations manager for 17 stores in LA and San Bernardino counties. I have organized and set up media coverage for community events attended by over 300 target team members. I also recently promoted targets community involvement on a local radio show.

In addition, I sit on the board of directors for the Canyon Hills Little League where I help promote and coordinate the fall and spring baseball seasons.

As a former educator and athlete, I am most comfortable in front of large groups and high energy situations. Which is why I believe the VP of public relations would be a good fit for me. I would love nothing more than to spread the word about the great things OPA is doing for our children and our community...and with one child entering Kindergarten and one entering 1st grade, I'd love to do it for a long time!

Thanks for your time and consideration!


Valerie Bangma

My name is Valerie Bangma. I am interested in serving on the Honor Society as Vice-President of Development. If given this opportunity I will do everything necessary to ensure the success of OPA and the future of the students.

Thank you


Melissa Perry

Hello, my name is Melissa Perry. I am excited to have an opportunity to run for the office of Vice-President of Fundraising for Oxford Preparatory Academy. I am currently the Fundraising and Travel Coordinator for the Chino Hills High School Marching Band and Color Guard as well as a member of the Music Department's executive board. I have over four years experience working with the Chips for Kids Program through my employer, the California Highway Patrol. I also served two years as the membership Vice-President for the PTA at Chaparral Elementary. I will bring many unique and exciting fundraising opportunities to benefit our children and our school. I feel that fundraising should be an enjoyable experience for both the students and parents. I will strive to provide the most user friendly fundraising opportunities for our students and our school. I will be dedicated to the students, parents, teachers and administrators as I perform my duties as the Vice-President of Fundraising at Oxford Preparatory Academy.

Shari Woerz

I would like to continue to be involved with my daughter's education in serving the faculty and parents of OPA in any way possible.

I have had previous experience as a secretary and would do my best in performing the duties required for the

Corresponding Secretary. Thank you for your consideration.


Adriana Provens

My name is Adriana Provens, my daughter Julia will be starting 5th grade at Oxford Preparatory Academy, and my son Jon is in a waiting list trying to attend 7th grade. I have been involved in education since 1994, working as a School Community Liaison, a Preschool Teacher, and a Child Development Teacher. I am currently working for Pomona Unified School District as a Child Development Teacher, providing services to parents and children from pregnancy to age three. I have served as a Site Council member for Anna Borba Elementary school for two consecutive years, holding the Secretary and Chairman positions. I believe my background will be instrumental in helping me fulfill the responsibilities of the OPA Convocation Committee, and will do my best to honor your trust.



No comments:

Post a Comment